Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mini Heart Biscuits - bacon, egg and cheese

So I was recently asked to bring a snack for the Ladies Bible Study that I attend on Wednesday mornings, and I was happy to do it. I signed up for a specific week, and was ecstatic to learn that there was someone who would be calling to remind me it was "my week." I need those kinds of reminders. :) Anyhow, so the day I signed up, my friend Brie asked me what I was going to bring, and I opened my big fat mouth and described some crazy adorable, mini bacon egg and cheese biscuits - WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!? So, I did get the reminder call, which was good, because I had forgotten. And I had everything I needed in the house after I went grocery shopping, so that was great. So . . . then came Tuesday, and a bit of craziness, and well . . . at about 11pm when I sat down to do my week's worth of Bible Study (not a great idea, I know, but just how it usually works out these days,) I suddenly remembered that it was "my week" for snacks. Normally I would've gotten up a little early and headed to the store before the study, BUT, my big fat mouth had already spoken, out loud, what I was going to bring, so I felt obliged to do it. I remembered a little ways into the process, that I should be taking pics, so I'll do my best to describe what I forgot to capture with my phone.
So, to start with, I used 1 tube of refrigerated biscuits (8 count). I opened it, and separated the biscuits, then one at a time, I pressed them as flat as I could with my hands. I then used a small heart shaped cookie cutter (from The Pampered Chef's - Creative Cutter Set) to cut the biscuits into mini heart shaped pieces. I placed them on a Large Metal Sheet Pan, also from The Pampered Chef, and got them in the oven . . . following the directions from the tube . . . I think I took them out only a minute or so before the "timer" was up. While that was in the oven . . .
I got started on the cutting of cheese! Teeheehee - there will always be the heart of a child in me, and I can't help but laugh at the thought of "cutting the cheese!" :) So, I used the presliced cheese, as it melts faster than most block cheeses that you would have to cut. It also eliminated the need to slice the cheese. I was able to get 5 heart from each slice!
Here's a picture of the tin the Creative Cutters Set comes in. It's super handy for storage, as the cutters are small and we wouldn't want to lose them in a drawer of randomness, and yes, we all have those!
Next, I have a picture of my Pampered Chef Bar Pan . . . it is stoneware, so it's gets darker and darker in color and also more non-stick the more you use it. This stone is not super dark, but it is super well seasoned, as my favorite thing to make on it is bacon, in the oven! It comes out perfect every time!
So, here you can see how I lined the top rack with aluminum foil, to reduce the grease splatter on my already not super clean oven. :/ Anyhow, then I lined up the bacon on the Bar Pan and set it in the oven at 350. It doesn't take too long for it to start smelling like yummy bacon, but it took about 30-35 minutes for it all to be done to perfection! So Yummy!
Next step is to cut the biscuits, which have now cooled, in half, through the middle. Easy! So while the bacon is cooking away, there's a couple of things to do. You'll want to scramble some eggs and cook them up, kindof like an omlette, so that it's a solid piece of "egg" - from which you'll cut again, mini heart shaped egg pieces. :) (I used 4 eggs in a skillet, twice, and had leftovers.)
If you still have time, you can get prepared for the great bacon blot. :) We all know that in order to have the flavor of bacon, you don't have to consume all the grease that comes with the bacon, so start by taking a plate and lining it with a couple of layers of paper towels. When the bacon is done, set a couple slices of bacon on the paper towels, add more paper towels and then more bacon (over and over until it's all on there), then cover the last bacon strips with more towels and press on them, to blot the grease off. Okay, so now the biscuits are ready, the cheese is cut ;), the bacon is blotted and the eggs are made up. If you haven't had time to cut the eggs into heart shaped pieces, you'll want to do that now. Also, you'll want to cut the bacon into little pieces, about 1-1/4 inches long. Now comes the fun part . . . Assembly! To me it seems obvious, but you'll want to stack all your pieces together to make your mini biscuit sandwiches. I put the bacon on top, then the cheese and the egg, with the biscuit halves on top and bottom. :)
So here is the almost end result . . . I actually added a little "special touch", but I didn't get a picture of it, so I'll see if I can do a reasonable job of explaining it. I didn't have those cute, extra long toothpicky things with the frazzle at the end, you know the things that restaurants use to hold sandwiches together, so I had to improvise, and the mini sandwiches are a little tall and skinny, so they needed a bit of help to stay upright. Anyhow, so I have toothpicks, and scrapbook paper and stickers! I dug through my sticker stash for the most grown up ones, some had encouraging words, some had verses, and some were just cute. I then cut cute, kindof "matchy" pieces of scrapbook paper and used the sticker to hold a toothpick to the paper and stabbed the adorable little picks right through the Mini Heart Biscuits! They were adorable, they tasted good, and they were a hit! I fit 32 into this serving dish, which is about 8x8. I wish I would have taken a picture of the end result, but hopefully between my "Not the Perfect Chef" kind of explanation and your creative mind, you were able to picture the cuteness. :)
Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I reheated them for about a minute in the mocrowave before serving them. Just to warm them a bit. What a fun breakfast treat for a Valentine's Day breakfast, or a Mother's Day tea, or a church brunch! I will definately be making these again.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun, yummy idea Trinette! Love the inspiring pictures :)

    ReplyDelete